How many “best chocolate chip cookies ever” recipes do you have stowed away in recipe boxes, cookbooks, and Pinterest boards? If you’re anything like me you’ve got an awful lot of these recipes stacked up, especially if you’re vegan! It seems like as soon as I figured out how to make the “perfect” chocolate chip cookie I went vegan and was left searching once more.
I was almost vegan for a year and a half before finding this dandy. That was a lot of chocolate chips being wasted in too-crumbly or too-tough “best ever” vegan cookies… Like a LOT of chocolate chips :’D
Thank goodness this cookie came along during the holiday season when so much baking trial and error was happening anyway. It was one of the first ones I tried of the season, I tweaked it multiple ways each time I made it, and rested on this being the absolute BEST result.
THE BEST VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
I mean, that fluffiness though… And just as dense as it is fluffy. There’s nothing I don’t like about this close-up. 😉
I knew these batches of goodness would be a hit with everyone else, too… But I tried to contain my excitement. To perform a true test of tastiness I presented them at both my family holiday gathering and a dinner with G’s boss, but I didn’t say a word about them. I mean even through all this crazy cookie lady crap going through my head, I sat the cookies on the counter and walked away not saying a word.
I patiently waited until the first person of each group took a bite and exclaimed their shared excitement over these bad boys. None of these people were vegan, and they both wanted to know how the cookies could possibly be vegan. I told them it’s much like a “regular” cookie recipe, but with vegan butter, eggs, and chocolate. It’s true though, they couldn’t be more simple.
Recipe adapted from Vedged Out
The Actual BEST Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 Cup Earth Balance vegan butter
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp baking soda
- 1/4 Tsp himalayan salt
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 Tsp almond extract
- Bob's Red Mill egg replacer mix 1 tbsp with 2 tbsp water and let sit for 10 seconds before adding to recipe.
- 1 1/4 Cup unbleached organic all purpose flour
- 1 vegan german chocolate bar chopped- separate from the tiny chocolate crumbs, only use the larger ones or you'll have one giant melty chocolate cookie.
- Cream together butter, sugars, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Mix 1 tbsp of egg replacer with 2 tbsp water. Let sit for 10-15 seconds.
- Add egg replacer to creamed ingredients and beat well. You'll want the egg replacer to be fully and evenly incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly combine the dry mixture into the creamed sugars.
- Fold in chocolate chunks and refrigerate dough for 30 minutes. About 15 minutes after putting dough in the refrigerator, preheat oven to 350.
- Once cooled, spoon dough by the tablespoon into uniform balls and place onto greased or lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until spread into a flat round cookie, fully cooked around the edges. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan until the cookies are stiff enough to remove with a spatula and place on a cooling rack.