We all luuurve a good breakfast sandwich here, right? As much as I love breakfast food, it doesn’t always sit well at actual breakfast time… But I rarely skip it. I usually opt for a smoothie or coffee in the morning and don’t eat real food until late in the morning.
What I TRY to do is this –> Warm lemon water, green smoothie, latte, then when I feel like both myself and my digestive system are awake I’ll throw in breakfast. LOL I’m laughing at myself saying this right now because talk about high maintenance, yikes! It’s kind of embarrassing once I actually say it.
There once was a day when I’d wake up and roll with the tides, whether that meant a big breakfast or no breakfast, and no coffee was required in order for me to feel awake. What have I become? :’D
This breakfast sammy is perfect for cooking up before work and taking in a to-go box. I mean, it isn’t called a “weekday breakfast sandwich” for nothin’! I hope you’ll spoil yourself during the week instead of saving all the goods for late weekend mornings.
It seriously takes 10 minutes, and all the ingredients are basically ready to go when you buy them. I encourage you to play around with different brands and flavors of waffle, vegan bacon, and cheese. What do you come up with?? Seriously- Let me know how you “style” yours and I’ll try it that way next time! Would be good with veganaise, hot sauce, onion, pancakes in place of waffles, you know… just make it yours ;) You have my full support
10-Minute Weekday Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 Gluten-free vegan waffles I used Nature's Path Organics brand, in the buckwheat wildberry flavor. Any would do the trick.
- 1 Tomato
- 2 Slices Vegan cheese I used Follow Your Heart brand (my personal favorite and the most affordable option at our store)
- Extra firm organic tofu
- Vegan bacon Sweet Earth brand "benevolent bacon" is great for this recipe because it most closely resembles bacon and is perfect for folding onto a sandwich, in my opinion.
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Pinch Black pepper
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional yeast
- 1 Tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 Tbsp Oil I used vegetable, if I had a choice I'd have used avocado or olive for sure!
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet.
- Cook the bacon in skillet until heated through, or follow cooking instructions on package. (Most vegan bacon is ready to eat- just needs heated) Transfer to a plate when finished.
- Drain the water from the tofu. Set it on it's longest side and take about 1/3 of the width slice from the block.
- Add tofu to the skillet and cook on each side for a couple minutes over medium heat, then add salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, and turmeric and cook for another minute on each side.
- Prepare the frozen waffles according to package instructions. Top each waffle with a slice of cheese and melt cheese to waffle either by putting on skillet with a lid over the top or broiling a few seconds in the oven.
- Wash and slice a tomato and assemble sandwich by adding tomato, bacon, and tofu to cheesy waffles.