This all started when I found a recipe….
Sounds like a pretty typical way to start whipping up a quiche, right?
Except I found the recipe on a Saturday and didn’t have all the ingredients for it. When I got all the ingredients on the following Tuesday I had no idea where I saw the recipe. I flipped through every magazine, every image “pinned” in that time frame, the screenshots in my phone, and all the posts I had saved on Instagram. NOTHING. Ugh….
All I knew was the “egg” part of the quiche was tofu.
I had my heart set on this quiche, so I cooked it up anyway. I winged it, if you will.
I know the gist of a pie crust, but I didn’t have vegan butter and I’ve been experimenting a lot with hemp oil, so I used this instead.
I came up with the following recipe and focused all my attention on presentation, because I was 100 percent sure it wasn’t going to taste good…. I plated a sliced and gave it to Griffin. He sat down and took a bite while I took a picture of the remaining pie…
His first words were “oh wow”. OH WOW…. I was fumbling for words due to shock factor… But I mustered up “Yay, it’s good?!” And he told me “oh yeah it’s good”. So of course then I was excited to get to my own plate.
We ate the whole thing in a matter of minutes…. ITS THAT GOOD
Hemp & Greens Quiche
- 1 Package Extra-firm organic tofu
- 1/2 Cup Nutritional yeast Plus extra for sprinkling on top after baking.
- 1 Cup Chopped brussel sprouts
- 1 Cup Broccoli Cut off the majority of the stem so it falls to small pieces and stays soft in the quiche.
- 1 Medium Finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 Tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 Tsp Black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Turmeric powder
For the crust
- 2 1/4 Cups All-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup Hemp oil
- 1 Tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- Ice cold water
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, combine the crust dry ingredients.
- Add hemp oil and combine until crumbly. Then pour cold water in about 1/4 C at a time and mix until a soft dough forms. It should not be sticky, but if it is you can knead in flour a tablespoon at a time to correct.
- Roll pie crust, lay out dough in an 8-inch pie pan and place in the oven.
- While crust is baking, heat cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add broccoli, brussel sprouts, and bell pepper. Cook until fork-tender.
- In a small bowl, smash tofu with a fork until it is mostly smooth.
- Add tofu to the skillet with vegetables. Mix in seasonings and let heat for about two minutes.
- Remove crust from the oven and add filling. Sprinkle the top with nutritional yeast and place back into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Once finished, let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.