Whip up restaurant quality enchiladas with butternut squash and Beyond meat using only FOUR main ingredients plus some spices. Basic has never smelled or tasted soo delicious…
I considered adding a topping of, like, two pounds of vegan cheese or dollops of plant based sour cream, but there’s something about the simplicity of these that wins me over big time. Plus, there’s already a vegan alternative in the recipe (Beyond beef), so I’m trying to take it easy and emphasize the two-ingred. filling. I mean if you wanna add cheese and sour cream and anything else that appeases you DO IT I fully support. You couldn’t go wrong with some whole-food avocado or guacamole either.
We’re huge Beyond fans ’round here, huge squash fans too. But we’ve yet to add butternut and beyond meat to enchiladas until now! I’ve never made enchiladas before at all, really. You can bet we’re hooked now though. I favor everything homemade, so if anyone has a tried and true enchilada sauce recipe to share I will use it next time over the store bought option! I’m dreaming of canning my own enchilada sauce in the coming years…
We used Beyond’s beef ground in the square package, but you could also cook and crumble some burger patties OR if you’re super adventurous (lol) use their taco seasoned beef crumbles in the bag!
Another vegan win:
This is another recipe for pleasing the non-vegan crowd. I haven’t laid it on them yet, but every Beyond-based dish has had rave reviews from the meat eaters! My favorite is the shock and surprise and the “it’s actually really good”. Actually! Like because it’s plant-based they thought it would be gross. Thank you, Beyond for changing the way people see vegan food. For making them NOT see vegan/non-vegan food, but just FOOD.
Butternut and Beyond Beef Enchiladas
- 1 20 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1 package flour tortillas bonus points for gluten free!
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1 package Beyond beef ground
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- cilantro for topping
- 1 tbsp organic earth balance butter
- Prepare butternut squash by peeling and cubing if you haven't yet, or if you aren't using pre-cut.
- Melt butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium low heat
- Add squash and cook for about 10 minutes
- Add the Beyond and using a mix n' chop or spatula, chop the "beef" up finely and mix it in with the squash
- Add spices and stir to combine
- Let cook for another 5 minutes or so, until the Beyond meat is heated through, then remove from heat
- Preheat oven to 375
- Spoon some enchilada sauce into the bottom of a baking dish
- Fill tortillas with the filling mixture one at a time, then roll and place in the dish
- Once the baking dish is full as can be (smoosh some enchiladas together to make room if you have to!) smother them all with the remaining enchilada sauce
- Bake for 15 minutes, cool, and then top with whatever you please (Cilantro for a fresh taste if you like it!)